Bipolar disorder is not found with tests. Your mental health problems and health are used to find out whether you have it.
You will have:
- A visit with your doctor—Your doctor will ask about your mental health problems. You will also be asked about your health and other people in your family who have had mental health problems. Your doctor may want to talk to your family and other people who are close to you.
- Physical—Your doctor will do an exam. You may be given lab tests to rule out other causes for your health problems.
Mental health exam—A mental health specialist will talk to you about:
- The problems you have had over time
- Other people in your family who have had this problem
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 09/2018 -